Based in Chester-le-Street, Dainty Dinah was an icon of the North East in her day.
Her story began in 1910, when the Norfolk born G.W. Horner purchased a small establishment that made jam in the town.
He soon converted the business to toffee production, and in 1914 Dinah started to appear, modeled on Horner’s then chauffeur Alice Scott.
In the early 1920s, Dinah’s name would be visible from across town, painted in huge white letters on a 106ft tall chimney.
Sadly it closed in 1961, and was demolished in 1985 – although some may still remember the brand.
As well as this Sunderland tin, we also have one for Newcastle which can be viewed here.